Did you know that yeast is one of the earliest domesticated microbes that occur naturally on the skin of grapes, leading to the discovery of wine? Up to 8,000 years ago in Ancient Egypt, our ancestors recorded the art of cultivation of grapes via hieroglyphics. Approximately 72 million tons of grapes are grown each year worldwide AND mostly to produce wine! Because the world love wine, each year 7.2 trillion gallons of wine are produced! Grapes come in different colors and forms plus it is a very popular finger #food. I sometimes take a small ziplock bag of this fruit to work as a snack. The key nutrient in grapes that may offer health benefits is a powerful antioxidant called resveratrol. Grapes may shield #skin cells from the nasty effects of ultraviolet light radiation! Eating 1 to 2 cups of grapes per day can also rescue our body tissue from various chemical reactions that trigger inflammation.
- Resveratrol is a powerful antioxidant and some researchers suggested may be able to slow or prevent the growth of skin cancer, leukemia, tumors in lymph, liver, stomach, breast and colon.
- Grapes are 82% water. By eating these fruits can keep your skin hydrated!
- May help to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and lower blood pressure.
- According to the American Heart Association, increasing potassium intake while lowering our sodium intake improves blood pressure. Grapes has an excellent source of potassium, but eat in moderation!
- Keep bowel movements regular!
- May reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- May reduce damage to your eyes (retina), prevent against various eye problems.
- Could help treat acne especially if used with benzoyl peroxide as a topical treatment.
- Boost your immune system
There are some studies suggesting that grapes may help to alleviate symptoms of allergies because it contains an anti-inflammatory property called quercetin. BUT I suggest that if you have a history of allergies, that you seek your primary care doctor first and inquire about getting tested for a grape allergen. I certainly would not want you to have a severe allergic reaction to eating grapes. Safety first!
After they’ve undergone the fermentation process, they become vino and many scientific researchers suggest that regular consumption of wine can improve health overall. But please drink in moderation! Women are advised to drink no more than one drink a day and men no more than two per day. I want you stay safe and responsible while drinking.